Introduction To Food & Beverage Industry Passivation Service
Food and Beverage manufacturing and processing equipment is a convenient target for rust and corrosion. Normal ware and tare from use and storage, cleaning, handling, and breaking down equipment with stainless steel surfaces create ideal opportunities for rust to occur.
Stainless steel has a natural resistance to rust and corrosion – an oxide shield that helps to protect against oxidation. But this natural barrier breaks down over time, especially with constant use. Passivation helps to not only strengthen this natural oxide layer, but helps to remove surface contamination (such as iron deposits) in stainless steel so that rust has less of foothold in the future.
Why Food & Beverage Industries Should Invest In A Passivation Service
A professional passivation service can have many benefits for businesses in the food and beverage industry. These benefits are both immediate and long-lasting, and include:
- Protection Of Your Reputation – Recalls are a major hit to any industry, and this is especially true for food and beverage. Recalling a piece of equipment due to the risk of rust contamination in food is massively reduced with passivation.
- Lower Maintenance & Repair Costs – Passivated equipment requires less maintenance and cleaning to avoid dangerous rust contamination. Passivated stainless steel is also stronger and more resilient, making costly repairs less common.
- Avoid Costly Down-Time – There will always be a need to shut down equipment for preventative maintenance and cleaning, but passivation can help to decrease down-time that could cost food and beverage manufacturers and processors millions.
- Self-Healing Oxide Layer – The natural oxide layer of stainless steel is a very thin film that can be easily scratched or scoured away, inviting rust to form in damaged areas. The thicker film created during the passivation process is hearty enough to compensate for minor surface damage, effectively self-healing itself.
- Increased Food Safety – Unquestionably the most important benefit of a passivation service, it helps to protect against dangerous contamination from rust and other foreign materials entering the final product – protecting your consumers from illness or injury.
It becomes quickly obvious that there is only a demand for professional passivation services, but a need that cannot be ignored by the food and beverage industry.
Protect Your Food & Beverage Equipment With CELCO’s Professional Passivation
Passivation is a process that requires the use of chemicals that can be hazardous if not handled by trained professionals – such as nitric acid. These chemicals can not only be dangerous to health of an employee, but if used improperly can cause expensive damage to equipment.
CELCO is one of America’s most trusted names in passivation service with more than three decades of experience in the passivation of equipment for the food and beverage industry. Contact our knowledgeable staff today for a free quote, and don’t trust your equipment with anyone less.