Deburring Metal Parts
Deburring Services Using Electropolishing
A burr is a raised edge or small piece of material remaining attached to a workpiece after a modification process. It is usually an unwanted piece of material and is removed with a deburring tool in a process called ‘deburring’.
Deburring Stainless Steel
Burrs are most commonly created by machining operations, such as grinding, drilling, milling, engraving or turning. It may be present in the form of a fine wire on the edge of a freshly sharpened tool or as a raised portion of a surface; this type of burr is commonly formed when a hammer strikes a surface.
Deburring accounts for a significant portion of manufacturing costs.
Benefits of Deburring With Electropolishing
- Removes iron from the surface and enhances the chromium/nickel content providing the most superior form of passivation for stainless steel.
- May reduce the size of some parts when needed.
- Provides a clean and smooth surface that is more easily sterilized.
- Polishes areas inaccessible by other polishing methods.
- Improves the surface finish by leveling micro-peaks and micro-valleys.
- Removes small amounts of the material from part surfaces.
- The metal is polished to have a beautiful shine.
Leave a Comment